Point Atkinson is one of Canada's most familiar lighthouses - synonymous with the City of Vancouver. The original four sided wooden tower was built in 1874 by Arthur Finney. It was first manned by Edwin Woodward and his wife Anne who was the first white woman to live in West Vancouver. The beacon was visible up to 14 miles away on a clear night.
In 1912 the wooden tower and keeper's quarters were torn down and replaced with the present hexagonal concrete tower. In 1942, Point Atkinson was outfitted with a searchlight and cannon to protect Vancouver Harbour from the threat of Japanese invasion which never materialized. Today the concrete lighthouse and bunkers are surrounded by a 185 acre nature park.